Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Dumbing Down"

I've waited several days before writing this post - I really wanted time to think through my thoughts before willy-nilly writing something I'd regret or that didn't reflect what I wanted to convey...

I must say that I really intensely dislike the term "dumbing down". I know what it means, I vividly remember staunch traditionalists waving Marva Dawn's book in glee and triumph when it came out and I disliked it then.

But let me explain something first.

Before you accuse me of being just another Philistine intent on dismantling culture and against intellect, nothing could be further from the truth. In 20 years of music ministry, I have served as an organist/choirmaster, Pastor of worship, worship leader praise team member, accompanist, composer... I've worn many of the hats in "normal" church music ministry both from a traditional standpoint as well as a contemporary one, and I LOVE both genres. I love knowledge, research, critical thinking and learning, I have read thousands upon thousands of books, I believe we should challenge ourselves and our people to LEARN and GROW (OK, you get the point...)

But even though I mourn the hemorrhaging of knowledge that has taken place in our society, the rapid decline in the quality of education and the inexorable slide to what appears to be the lowest common denominator...

I still really intensely dislike the term "dumbing down".

Every time I hear it or read it, it seems to be said with an air of superiority, of exclusivity, of pride. It seems in the church as if we have drawn a direct line where it does not belong:

We talk Biblically of new believers needing the basics or "spiritual milk", and then growing up into needing more, i.e. "spiritual meat".

Then, some of us jump up and say contemporary music/praise bands = milk
and traditional/classical music and worship = meat

To make matters worse, I see how many have espoused the idea that "it's OK to reach out to people far from God, but we shouldn't lower ourselves too far in our attempt to reach them" (i.e. let's reach out, but not dumb down) Or another variation on the theme - "we'll get them in the door with the inferior music, then they need to "grow up" and transfer over to "big church".

Excuse me?
Shouldn't we do whatever it takes to build a bridge to people?

Now, some of you have already forgotten what I said earlier - let me remind you that I am just as passionate about my traditional service as I am the more contemporary one. I know, I'm weird.

  • One particular style of worship/music is not intrinsically better nor more holy than another.
  • One may speak to YOU better, or draw YOU closer to God, and YOU may prefer to worship in that manner.
  • We should do EVERYTHING to the best of our abilities - all styles or genres should be done well
  • There is worship music of poor quality (melody, structure, theology etc) in ALL genres and that will ALWAYS be so.
  • Use the best of whatever style you are choosing to feature.
  • There should be a balance in our preaching so that we have some milk for the spiritual seekers and also meat for the more mature

If we do our different styles of services to the best of our abilities and consciously choose excellence in preaching and music (regardless of style) it does not matter what style of worship a person chooses to attend.... one is not better vs. dumbed down, it simply IS.

If you can say "dumbing down" without an air of superiority, of exclusivity or of pride, go right ahead. Use the term. But if you feel the slightest bit of superiority, if it makes you feel smarter or better, if you have the mistaken notion that God looks on the external trappings of our worship rather than the heart of the worshipper.....

Well, then, I encourage you to stop.

Grace and Peace.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathan, Interesting commentary but personally I have never thought of one being superior over the other, just different. My Dad, your Pa, always says 'Change the delivery but never the message', and I believe he's right because there isn't one way of presenting the Gospel that will reach everyone.
    I always enjoyed the way that you led us at Bethany, whether it was contemporary or traditional and I still enjoy your leading in the blended services now.
    But I also must state that there are clearly instances, especially in the school system, where there are no other words for it but 'Dumbed Down'!
    Good blog...I look forward to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the post was suppoesed more about pride than style...


    I agree with you about education - the term dumbing-down is very true in that case (as I alluded in the early part of the post). I still bristle at the use of the words, but that's my own baggage from its prideful use when concerning worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that the world is ready for both you and Mark to be blogging. I know for certain that Lindsay and I aren't! This was really good! Should spark some interesting feedback from Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely not use the term dumbing down to describe a contemporary service. I find the rhythms, melodic lines and chord structures to be very complex. Typically, the traditional pieces are much easier. As we seek to build a multi-generational, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural church, it is isn't what style of music we are most concerned about, but how much of which language to sing in.

    As for education, I spent the better part of my day today working with district and school level leadership teams to continue to refine our systems so that we can give every one of our students, many of them living in poverty and English language learners a K-8 education that will set them up to be college bound when they hit high school. Are we there yet? No, but we are certainly striving every day to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I have not considered the twist you put on "dumbing down" before, I have to agree with your base level analysis. It definately is a matter of pride in some cases, maybe most. The same who would refer to a "dumbing down" scenario, are the same indviduals who seem to always "talk down" to nearly everyone.
    I enjoy proper English delivered with great eloquence, but the masses really don't communicate that way. It is far better I believe to assume a resonable level of intelligence, and speak clearly and concisely it hopes of not creating confusion.
    Worship is not about us...it's about Christ, always has been and always will be. While all cannot operate on the same level of proficiency, were are to "give our best", and "study to show ourselves approved". We should never allow ourselves to believe that mediocraty is an acceptable gift to God.

    ReplyDelete